Developing Denarius & Kronos on Apple M1 Chip

Ghost

So I just wanted to post some random thoughts about the new upcoming Apple Macbook Air, Macbook Pro, and Mac Mini with the new Apple M1 Chips and development around them.

Denarius (D) is written in C and C++ and is currently able to compile on ARMv7 (ARM64) chips on the Raspberry Pi 4s and other devices.

-Workflow to port to Apple's M1 -> Nothing, Denarius should compile just fine on the new M1 ARMv8 chips comparing to previous compiles on the ARMv7 chips on currently available ARM SoCs

Kronos is written in Javascript/NodeJS/Electron and is currently able to compile on ARMv7 (ARM64) chips on the Raspberry Pi 4s and other devices.

-Workflow to port to Apple's M1 -> Upgrade Electron dep versioning, Electron v11 Beta seems to support the new Apple M1 Chip and ARM architecture.

Random thoughts: Seems VS Code Insider releases now support the Apple M1 chip.

• Like 1
  • Denarius 1

Founder of BlockForums.org - PM me for any help - Join our Discord Server: https://discord.gg/UPpQy3n

100703395-b1ee6600-3360-11eb-82bc-96818c

Curious to see how Rosetta works with the x86 compiled wallet and compare that to the native ARM version. Also what wild combinations can be done with docker on this. If M1 is as fast as they say can I then build an ARM OS really fast, say the Raspberry OS instead of doing that on a pi4 or an emulated Pi? Apple may be opening a lot of doors for the ARM community.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, buzzkillb said:

Curious to see how Rosetta works with the x86 compiled wallet and compare that to the native ARM version. Also what wild combinations can be done with docker on this. If M1 is as fast as they say can I then build an ARM OS really fast, say the Raspberry OS instead of doing that on a pi4 or an emulated Pi? Apple may be opening a lot of doors for the ARM community.

Yea I mean development within Android Studio and XCode for Android and iOS/iPadOS apps will be very seemless I would imagine compared to developing on an x86 based machine. It will be interesting to see, Microsoft is already making a Windows layer like Rosetta for Windows and ARM so I would think that will translate over to the Raspberry Pis at some point. Running the new M1 with macOS Big Sur the App Store is combined from iOS and macOS apps (can run both).

• Like 1

Founder of BlockForums.org - PM me for any help - Join our Discord Server: https://discord.gg/UPpQy3n

11 minutes ago, Ghost said:

Yea I mean development within Android Studio and XCode for Android and iOS/iPadOS apps will be very seemless I would imagine compared to developing on an x86 based machine. It will be interesting to see, Microsoft is already making a Windows layer like Rosetta for Windows and ARM so I would think that will translate over to the Raspberry Pis at some point. Running the new M1 with macOS Big Sur the App Store is combined from iOS and macOS apps (can run both).

Would Android Studio natively compile a program on a Mac now? For instance I was making apps for both stores, now I benefit from fast compiles for testing?

• Like 1

Just now, buzzkillb said:

Would Android Studio natively compile a program on a Mac now? For instance I was making apps for both stores, now I benefit from fast compiles for testing?

Yes, Android Studio already works on Intel based Macs, but emulator wise running ARM emulators on x86 isnt as ideal as running ARM on ARM ;)

• The D 1