How to Backup Wallet

buzzkillb

Its a good idea to make backups of your wallet, whether you are using the QT or the daemon to store your denarius coins. First of all, always use a very strong password on any crypto wallets you have. 64+ characters with no funky symbols.

Backup wallet.dat

The basic way to do this is going into the QT Wallet and selecting Settings -> Backup Wallet, go your your USB drive and put this wallet.dat in a folder like d:\backup\2019-07-29 D\wallet.dat

This way you can have backups from different days. A few USB drives rotating like this is a great way to store your crypto wallets for just in case anything happens.

You can also find your chaindata folder, and copy/paste the wallet.dat to your USB drive.

Backup Private Keys

Another way to backup your private keys is by going into debug console.

I type help to get a reminder on commands.

image.thumb.png.716bca860f77aa6c4947ca75cc241a3b.png

What you do with this one is dumpprivkey DADDRESS. Be very careful here as if your PC has a keylogger or remote access someone else can see the private key, Generally disconnect from wifi and/or ethernet completely before running this just in case. Maybe even run this command in a separate virtual machine. Just be very careful here.

This will give you your private key in the output. Save this somewhere that can't be seen, maybe like writing it down or etching into titanium.

Another method to dump your private key is dumping the entire wallet.dat. This will create a text file that has a list of your addresses and private keys next to them. I would not be connected to the internet doing this.

image.thumb.png.934a9ef9a8f6485f923be2727e9d1612.png

This command you type like this dumpwallet makeupnamehere.txt

The text file is stored where your chaindata is located, which would be where your wallet.dat is located.

What I would do with this text file is zip with encryption using a strong 64+ character password. Be extremely careful if you print this out, as who knows if your printer is hacked or has something watching what is printing.

• Like 1

Hi buzkillb, I am new to this cryptocurrency thing. I want to buy the denarius but am not sure which exchange to use. I’ve only found one so far that even offers this coin and it’s fees are really high. Do you have any suggestions of some safe, reputable exchanges with low fees?

13 hours ago, Sheila said:

Hi buzkillb, I am new to this cryptocurrency thing. I want to buy the denarius but am not sure which exchange to use. I’ve only found one so far that even offers this coin and it’s fees are really high. Do you have any suggestions of some safe, reputable exchanges with low fees?

After you get some bitcoin, I would probably split up and buy from tradeogre and southxchange.

I generally use coinmarketcap (CMC) https://coinmarketcap.com/currencies/denarius-dnr/#markets

to look at prices between the different markets. Generally the BTC/D trading pair will be the one to use, especially for someone new right now.

image.png.456bbaeea35929e16777b411fca43f6a.png

Click the D/BTC and it will take you directly to the order book. You will want to register on each exchange, with a strong password and use 2FA like Google Authenticator or Authy. Google Auth basically works on the phone, and Authy can be used on phone, tablets and PC.

The account is almost instant to setup. Then you go into your wallets and deposit BTC into your BTC wallet address. That will take about 30-60min as bitcoin is very slow to move from your own wallet to the exchange wallet. Once the confirmations are complete, you can then buy D using the BTC that was sent in.

If you have any questions, click the discord link in my signature and myself or probably lots of people can help you with any more questions. Discord is full of scammers, so generally be cautious about people private messaging you on there.

• Like 1