Drastic variation in the mining difficulty

Alex

Dear,

There was a drastic variation in the mining difficulty, follow sections of the log:

[2018-01-24 17:01:40] tribus block 529058, diff 278.613

..... and five minutes later:

[2018-01-24 17:05:36] tribus block 529069, diff 10557.175

..... Increase 37x !!!!

I thank those who know how to explain what happened, as this discourages mining.

Alexandre.

Thanks for the tip of the mining calculator.
I think maybe the code that adjusts the difficulty per block should be improved because the DNR has a short lifecycle in POW with predetermined dates so that these fluctuations can affect that schedule.
Although the average normal difficulty is low, these peaks are punctual.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know why, but for the last few days I've mined virtually nothing (pool is uniminer).  I've got about 0.1 DNR for each of the last couple of days.

my stats are:  https://www.unimining.net/?address=DGUbLcLhAMg43cmp7u1sy2vewF5TFRU2cp

I'm not sure if it's related to Difficulty or not.  I used the above mentioned link to check the difficulty and it was at around 5000.

Not sure if that's really high or not. My hash rate is around 20Mh/s. 

Below are the results from the link. Is there a reason why mining may be very unproductive at the moment. I don't know enough about the variables or metrics to see if there's an obvious reason for lack of mining productivity.

Can someone who know give some idea as to why this may be happening. 

I'm just wondering whether to bother to keep trying to mine DNR or not.

image.thumb.png.00106f7a0bf54dc5f7d8da6bd1a3a142.png

image.png

Edited by Vagumera
wrong calculation picture. upload correct one

Hi

I dunno your problem. 20 MH/s is not 300 MH/s like in your calculation. That is what you can expect with 20 MH/s.

Maybe you give some Info about your "mining-hardware" so we can help you getting more...

BTW: Your TX shows you earned more than 0.7 DNR in the last 18 hours. So that is very difficult to beat with 20MH on another pool...

My rig did cost me less than 1400$ and does 220 MH/s @ 850watts.

I am trying to mine only when difficulty is low. < 3000. Or when it was very high for some time ;-)

I was mining (poolhopping) at unimining too in the last days as it was better than hashbag. But hashbag recovered in found blocks just recently.

Edit: P.S: Just entered uniming and found a block for you. Just getting payed 0.00x for that ;-)

Edited by ehri

7 hours ago, ehri said:

Hi

I dunno your problem. 20 MH/s is not 300 MH/s like in your calculation. That is what you can expect with 20 MH/s.

Maybe you give some Info about your "mining-hardware" so we can help you getting more...

BTW: Your TX shows you earned more than 0.7 DNR in the last 18 hours. So that is very difficult to beat with 20MH on another pool...

My rig did cost me less than 1400$ and does 220 MH/s @ 850watts.

I am trying to mine only when difficulty is low. < 3000. Or when it was very high for some time ;-)

I was mining (poolhopping) at unimining too in the last days as it was better than hashbag. But hashbag recovered in found blocks just recently.

Edit: P.S: Just entered uniming and found a block for you. Just getting payed 0.00x for that ;-)

Thanks Ehri, I've redone the calculation and posted above.

Yes, you're right, I should earn around 0.6 to 0.7 DNR per day. 

However, before today, the previous 2 days earned me only around 0.1 DNR.  It's picked up a bit since then back to around .7 but don't know why it drops down so low for a couple of days.

I thought it might have something to do with the difficulty changing. I'll monitor the difficulty over the next week or so and see if it changes much and if it's affecting the mining earn amount.

Paul

Just keep mining my friend.  I have 4 1060s and would only get .5 dnr per day on the hashbag.cc pool as there is so many miners on it right now, even with the high number of blocks they find, the payout percentage is so low.   As DNR becomes more popular more miners are coming which naturally raises the difficulty and the payouts have been getting lower and lower.  

3 minutes ago, jtmining17 said:

Just keep mining my friend.  I have 4 1060s and would only get .5 dnr per day on the hashbag.cc pool as there is so many miners on it right now, even with the high number of blocks they find, the payout percentage is so low.   As DNR becomes more popular more miners are coming which naturally raises the difficulty and the payouts have been getting lower and lower.  

Thanks jtmining17,

Yea, I'll just keep chipping away. 

Your power usages seems really high right now... I have 4 gpus on my rig and am pulling 450 watts.

18 hours ago, Vagumera said:

I don't know why, but for the last few days I've mined virtually nothing (pool is uniminer).  I've got about 0.1 DNR for each of the last couple of days.

my stats are:  https://www.unimining.net/?address=DGUbLcLhAMg43cmp7u1sy2vewF5TFRU2cp

I'm not sure if it's related to Difficulty or not.  I used the above mentioned link to check the difficulty and it was at around 5000.

Not sure if that's really high or not. My hash rate is around 20Mh/s. 

Below are the results from the link. Is there a reason why mining may be very unproductive at the moment. I don't know enough about the variables or metrics to see if there's an obvious reason for lack of mining productivity.

Can someone who know give some idea as to why this may be happening. 

I'm just wondering whether to bother to keep trying to mine DNR or not.

image.thumb.png.00106f7a0bf54dc5f7d8da6bd1a3a142.png

Just now, jtmining17 said:

Your power usages seems really high right now... I have 4 gpus on my rig and am pulling 450 watts.

I actually am not sure what my wattage is. I just left it as the default on that calculator but set the 20 Mh/s and the fee (0.05%).  

I thought I needed some sort of power meter to read how many watts my rig is using. I don't have one.  If there's a way to get the power usage from windows/software than that would be great. 

How do you determine your wattage?

Your i3 systems consumes it seems 100-150 watt Overclocked or Stock. Plus GPU r9 390 is quite power hungry isn't it? It would mine Equihash much more decent. I'd sell it!

Plus PSU.

300 - 400 Watts in Total I assume. You could maybe undervolt CPU. It brings like 50 Watts less with mine undervolted.

And would replace your GPU against Nvidia Maxwell or newer for DNR. Until there is a better Amd miner.

Edit: WOW!!! R9 390 easy more than 300Watt according Tomshardware only for GPU depending on your settings and more for 20 MHs DNR!

So maybe even 500 - 600 Watts...

You rather pay me the power bill and I send you the 27MH on your wallet! Deal? ;-)

So for 1.5 - 2 DNR per Day I send you 27 MH which give you x.x DNR. This is your calculation depending on your power price...

Or you better just buy the coin and support DNR much more with that... than throwing precious energy out of the window... ;-) but maybe it is free or you heat with it like me. ;-)

My worst Really bad cheapo 90 degree hot ECS trash GTX 970 uses 110 -120 Watts for 27 MH.

Just look at the stats in uniming... https://www.unimining.net/bench?algo=tribus&chip=0

(I am mostly the Int. 23 ;-) 980 ti missing on first page.

BTW: Every 5th Block is an Orphan now at hashbag. I have never seen that many.

Ping Unimining: 8 ms

Ping Hashbag: >30 ms

Good luck

Edited by ehri
better Link

On 2/10/2018 at 10:02 AM, ehri said:

Edit: WOW!!! R9 390 easy more than 300Watt according Tomshardware only for GPU depending on your settings and more for 20 MHs DNR!

Thanks ehri, Yes i had read the R9 390 is a bit power hungry.  I didn't realise that much though.  Looks like I'm throwing money at the power bill to earn a few DNR.

Gotta get a cheap GTX 970  card.

1 hour ago, Vagumera said:

Thanks ehri, Yes i had read the R9 390 is a bit power hungry.  I didn't realise that much though.  Looks like I'm throwing money at the power bill to earn a few DNR.

Gotta get a cheap GTX 970  card.

Look into a GTX 1060 6gb. You can get 40m/h for 90watts.   They can be found for about $330usd. Its a bit of a markup from prices a few months back but still not bad.

NVidia will more than likely be announcing graphics card line up shortly, better to hold off. Rumors are if anything like the Titan Volta indicates the new GPU's will be amazingly efficient.  I noticed the same thing with payouts and it is because of the difficulty, and take notice that the whattomine site does not accurately portrait real payouts. Ive used it in the past to see how DNR payouts stacked up against it and it was off quite significantly. The difficulty has increased quite a bit, I'm not sure what the calculations are, but it seems when it goes up by lets say 10% difficulty the payouts are decreased by a lot more than 10%. The payouts for mining are down across the board too because of the 400b that got wiped away in a few weeks.