So what's everyone's opinion about PayPal doing cryptocurrency? :)

onebigindian

Very good for altcoins once paypal allows Bitcoin to move into a private wallet. This will become the conduit into alts where all the cryptocurrency transactions will most likely end up later on down the road. Even just the hint of this is a big deal. Paypal adding BTC and whatever else, also legitimizes crypto in general more than probably anything else can do.

1 hour ago, onebigindian said:

Sorry, could you explain what you just said? :) What's an "altcoin"? What' s a private wallet? Why would it be very good?

An altcoin would be considered a cryptocurrency with its own blockchain that isn't Bitcoin. Litecoin is an altcoin. Monero is an altcoin. Denarius is an altcoin. The terms of service on the paypal announcement says the user can buy bitcoin, but doesnt have access to the private keys. The user is not really getting Bitcoin, they would be getting hopes and promises Paypal has Bitcoin in their stash to back this. I could create a company called Cheese and offer bitcoin on my Cheese platform, never have Bitcoin, but pretend I do, and the newbies flocking to Cheese wouldn't know the difference.