I was looking at the peers earlier and see 62 right now. https://chainz.cryptoid.info/dnr/#!network Does having 100-200 masternodes hurt or help the network?

Who says 1 person running more than 1 MN puts them all in the same data center? Someone running 2 masternodes can afford the cost to run 2 VPS's in different parts of the world. Asia, Europe and North American VPS's are easy enough for me to find living in the States. Masternode is a trendy buzzword for sure, but like @KawaiiCrypto asked, do these do any harm to DNR?

I don't hodl a coin thinking I hate this because I can't afford a MN, I hodl a coin thinking wow I can't wait to mine enough to get a MN. My example, I mined enough ZEN to get at least 1 secure node. If I need to top up on the coin, the exchange is right there to pick up more.

• 4 weeks later...

I have updated the chart to reflect the current denarius price and circulating supply.

masternode_calculations_v2.png

I originally suggested 2k-3k coins for masternode collateral.. I still think 3k would be a good number, but for fun I have included 3333 as it goes great with the general tribus (three) theme of Denarius I think. Having a slightly lower collateral requirement would probably result in more nodes spread out, which would be beneficial to the network.

Edited by KawaiiCrypto
  • Upvote 2

Just my 2 cents on  this topic: 

I think Denarius has value and potential of its own and there is no true need for Master nodes for network stability. At least I think the POS reward is already rewarding people leaving their wallet running. 

Now imagine people start running Denarius master nodes. What happens when people realise these are not truly needed for stability and availability of the network, and the value of DNR is not going up fast enough, and they start to cash out? 

• Like 1

Aren't masternodes offering some other things besides extra stability to the network? I am not a fan of adding masternodes just to add them because that's the trend, but I do think this will help push up DNR's value and hodl it there. A lot of other coins that didn't have masternodes are going to copy Carsen's work on this bringing more attention to Denarius that this isn't some random crypto.

In the end 100-200 more nodes running seems like a good thing, and it will lock the coins up even more than the strong hodlers are already doing.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Yes, Masternodes offer other things, like increased coin value, it's just that in my opinion its a kind of 'artificial' benefit that has unpredictable downsides if people that run a master node cash out when the value of the DNR goes down or the DNR might get down in value when master node people cash out for whatever reason.

However, if it brings more attention to the coin, which it will do for sure, it might be OK. 

I have never run a master node, but I am strongly thinking of running one with Denarius. Proof of Stake is a nice incentive for people to hold there coins, but I don't think its enough. the rewards at the time are miniscule for holding, I think a lot of people can see day trading the coin to earn more than the fraction of a DNR token every day or so. I understand that when we move from proof of work to proof of stake the amount goes up? Master nodes essentially distribute the network globally to decentralize and prevent attack vulnerabilities on the DNR network? is that kind of the jist of it?

I would also suggest 3k even though it has been decided on 5k? I have a decent size farm and as time goes on difficulty will increase along side with the coin price making it exponentially harder to create a master node and if DNR starts expanding it could cause some scaling issues if no one has enough to start a node.

On 1/18/2018 at 2:08 AM, samuel said:

I have never run a master node, but I am strongly thinking of running one with Denarius. Proof of Stake is a nice incentive for people to hold there coins, but I don't think its enough. the rewards at the time are miniscule for holding, I think a lot of people can see day trading the coin to earn more than the fraction of a DNR token every day or so. I understand that when we move from proof of work to proof of stake the amount goes up? Master nodes essentially distribute the network globally to decentralize and prevent attack vulnerabilities on the DNR network? is that kind of the jist of it?

In the next release of the wallet, the fix to the low PoS rewards will be included, making them 6% interest/year.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, KawaiiCrypto said:

A few people asked about a more interactive chart about the potential masternode earnings.. Ask and you shall receive. 

http://denarius.win/

If you want to see the dollar amounts in BTC, hover your mouse over the dollar value. 

Page is updated every 5 minutes.

Awesome Site Kawaii, thanks for the real time visual!! :)

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Rewards for MN are planned way too high. 33% of mining and staking rewards for the Masternodes is just insane. It is even worse than Banks.

Just my two DNR Cents.

Look at Zencash or Dash. A glimps into the future of Denarius? Pump and Dump?

Edited by ehri

• Ghost changed the title to D MASTERNODES